i370 port - constructing compile script

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Thu Oct 1 18:36:00 GMT 2009

"Paul Edwards" <mutazilah@gmail.com> writes:

>> the gcc build system working. Trying to bootstrap gcc there seems
>> like a lot
>> of pain for no real benefit.
>
> The effort is mostly in the Canadian Cross.  The changes to get it to
> bootstrap from that point are relatively small.

I think you are underestimating the work involved.

Many years ago now, when Steve Chamberlain started porting the GNU
tools to bootstrap on Windows, he realized that the best approach was
to write (what is now known as) cygwin.  It may sound crazy now, but
bringing the Unix environment to yours is doable, and it has many
ancillary benefits.

Ian