New GCC Runtime Library Exception: not fit for purpose

Joern Rennecke amylaar@spamcop.net
Fri Jan 30 05:11:00 GMT 2009


Quoting Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>:

> Yes, I believe that "Independent Modules" is intended to mean "any
> code."  However, it needs to be careful to not grant additional rights
> to other parts of gcc itself.  And in any case the only code which it
> can control is code which uses the runtime library--the runtime
> library license can not say anything about code which does not use the
> runtime library.  I expect that that is why it wound up being written
> the way it was.

When you link together some object files which do not use libgcc  with
pats of libgcc, the result is still a derived work of libgcc, which can
only be distributed inasmuch as the FSF grants a license to do that.
So I don't see why you would make a distinction if the Target Code
uses any interface of libgcc or not - what matters is only if parts of
libgcc become part of the combined work.



More information about the Gcc mailing list