Defining a common plugin machinery

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile@starynkevitch.net
Sat Sep 20 17:58:00 GMT 2008

Chris Lattner wrote:

> Is the plugin machinery intended to eventually allow new (GPL
> compatible) backends to be used?  It would be nice to make llvm-gcc be a
> plugin.

 From what I remember of the plugin BOFS & the Steering Committee Q&A
sessions at last GCC summit permitting GPL-ed plugins is one of the
intent of plugins.

AFAIK, the concern is -on the opposite of your intents- how to make
GPL-ed plugins (legally) easy, and proprietary plugins (legally)
impossible, but I am not a lawyer, I know nothing about US law, and I
don't know what is happening inside the steering committee or the FSF
regarding plugins.

The technical questions about how to make plugin practicals are
precisely the scope of the current thread on the gcc@ mailing list.

Regards