FW: configure-build ?

Paolo Bonzini bonzini@gnu.org
Tue Sep 16 05:25:00 GMT 2008

>> Toplevel makefile has configure-host and configure-target.
>> Is there a reason why no configure-build? It might be nice.

Yeah, maybe.

>> Also, configure -no-libiconv might be nice.

It is there: --disable-libiconv.

>> Maybe configure -no-opt?
>> One measurement I did, removing -O2 sped up building the compiler by half.

BOOT_CFLAGS=-g but you definitely do not want that because bootstrapping
is there also to test the optimizations, and bootstrapping without
optimization obviously does not cover them.

So if you want the fastest build, you should not bootstrap
(--disable-bootstrap) in addition to compiling with CFLAGS=-g.  But, do
not distribute/install that, it would be too slow for *users*.

Paolo