Problems building Windows hosted mips-elf toolchain using Linux as build machine

Aaron W. LaFramboise aaronavay62@aaronwl.com
Mon Sep 15 11:36:00 GMT 2008

Hi Øyvind,

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> I'm trying to build a mips-elf toolchain hosted on Windows using
> Linux as the build machine but I'm running into the following error:
>

> mips-elf-gcc -nostdinc -isystem /tmp/gccbuild/build/gcc/./gcc/include
> -B/tmp/gccbuild/build/gcc/mips-elf/newlib/ -isystem
> /tmp/gccbuild/build/gcc/mips-elf/newlib/targ-include -isystem
> /tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/newlib/libc/include
> -B/tmp/gccbuild/build/gcc/mips-elf/libgloss/mips
> -L/tmp/gccbuild/build/gcc/mips-elf/libgloss/libnosys
> -L/tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgloss/mips -O2 -g -g -O2 -msoft-float -O2
> -O2 -g -g -O2   -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE   -W -Wall
> -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wold-style-definition  -isystem ./include  -G 0 -g  -DIN_LIBGCC2
> -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED -Dinhibit_libc  -I. -I. -I../../.././gcc
> -I/tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgcc -I/tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgcc/.
> -I/tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgcc/../gcc
> -I/tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgcc/../include  -DHAVE_CC_TLS -o
> _fixunssfsi.o -MT _fixunssfsi.o -MD -MP -MF _fixunssfsi.dep
> -DL_fixunssfsi -c /tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c  \
>                 -DLIBGCC2_UNITS_PER_WORD=4
> In file included from /tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:1697:
> /tmp/gccbuild/src/gcc/newlib/libc/include/limits.h:130:26: error: no
> include path in which to search for limits.h

What sort of thing is at this location in limits.h?  Unless someone
knows something more about this, you will need to track down this
specific failure.

Run re-run this specific command that is failing with -v to get more
useful information about the search path.

GCC is supposed to provide a MIPS-target limits.h, and apparently thats
not working out for some reason.

> - trying to build a GCC toolchain under Windows seems like a complete
> non-starter

It is fairly straightforward on Cygwin actually, and should work about
as easily as the Linux build.  It will be substantially slower, however.

For a non-Cygwin native Windows (MinGW) build, see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/WindowsBuilding>.

I have no idea if that would solve your problem though. :)

By the way, this sort of question is best for gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org,
where people know more about these sorts of relatively common build
problems.  gcc@ is for discussion of developing GCC specifically.