pretty printing trends and questions

Diego Novillo dnovillo@google.com
Mon Sep 8 15:29:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 11:04, Basile STARYNKEVITCH
<basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

> Do you mean that the trend is to have both dump_* routines (writing to
> FILE*) and prettyprinting routines? Except of course the historical
> existence of code, I don't understand why both are needed (unless dumping is
> outputting in a different way than prettyprinting).

No.  The dump_* routines call the pretty printing routines when they
have to emit pretty printed IL.  I'm not sure why you are making the
distinction.  The dump_* routines will emit a mix of IL and other text
output.

> I understood that all prettyprinting is systematically using an obstack as a
> buffer (actually, I renamed the FILE* field to something else, and it does
> not appear a lot).

I wouldn't oppose a patch that lets us support both types of output.
The FILE * support should not be removed, however.

Diego.