How to understand gcc source code?

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile@starynkevitch.net
Sat Mar 22 21:16:00 GMT 2008


Aaron Gray wrote:
>>   * what is the proportion of cross-compilation? I have no real clue. 
>> I would suppose that during all the GCC runs in the last month, only a 
>> minority was cross-compilation (for some embedded systems). Of these, 
>> what are the favorite target machines & systems. I really don't know 
>> this one (maybe ARM or PowerPC32?).
> 
> Don't forget all the Linux based routers like OpenWRT and Netgear 
> devices that are cross compiled using GCC. GCC+Linux is very scalable !

Aren't they often ARM boards running Linux? But usually, you cross 
compile (on Linux/x86 or AMD64, towards target Linux/ARM or whatever)...

I'm more interested in figures from the GCC user perspective. A device 
with some embedded Linux, even if sold in the millions, has its software 
probably compiled only a few times for the last release (and perhaps a 
thousand times for its entire development). Linux based routers could 
not run the GCC compiler (inside the router)!

-- 
Basile STARYNKEVITCH         http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net mobile: +33 6 8501 2359
8, rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France
*** opinions {are only mines, sont seulement les miennes} ***



More information about the Gcc mailing list