Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag

David Miller davem@davemloft.net
Wed Mar 5 21:23:00 GMT 2008


From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:52:14 +0100

> H. Peter Anvin a écrit :
> > The best would be if this could be controlled by a flag, which we can
> > flip once kernel fixes has been around for long enough.
> 
> I have to agree there. Whatever the decision that gcc will take,
> distributions will reenable the old behaviour for some time for to allow
> upgrades from a previous version.

I don't think this approach is tenable.

If a distribution should ship with a "fixed" kernel and
compiler enabling the new direction flag behavior, any
binary you create on that system will be broken on any
other existing system.

I think we really are stuck with this forever, overwhelming
practice over the past 15 years has dictated to us what the
real ABI is.



More information about the Gcc mailing list