GCC 4.3 target deprecation proposals

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de
Wed Jan 23 11:57:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 13:22:51 +0000, Joseph S. Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > > I work for a company that makes significant use of gcc to target vax.
> > > The people involved are users, not developers, of gcc.  Does any part
> > > of the deprecation requirements take into account user base, or just
> > > developer base?
> >
> > Neither, actually.  It's tester base that counts the most.
>
> Indeed, testing is needed to provide evidence that a target works, but in
> practice some developer work is needed to fix problems that show up in
> testing (for example, target-specific problems exposed by the df work) and
> without such work target architectures are unlikely to remain working well
> between major releases.  However, I only looked to see if there was any
> development on a platform if I saw there had been no testing at all
> (posted to gcc-testresults) since the start of 2007.

When I had move time available (and I hope that this'll be the case
again), I ran a vax-linux-uclibc build every 4h to catch breaking
patches early.

For all others who are thinking about stepping up as a maintainer:
You'll loose eons of time if you don't do something similar,
especially for those targets that have virtually no users. It's quite
time consuming to check the last two months of commits for candidates
that broke your build.

Build often, build automatically, and keep the commit emails. For GCC
as well as the binutils and your libc.

I'm quite interested in the VAX target, specifically the Linux bits
I'm having around, but I'm unsure about my current time constraints.
Right now, I wouldn't do promises on that, but I'd be willing to look
into upcoming problems.

Some SIMH instance with a CURRENT NetBSD would probably be helpful and
if somebody helps me to get a NetBSD up'n'running with SIMH, I'd offer
to put my auto-building scripts in there.  NetBSD is at least a
somewhat complete OS, while Linux is still flanky and needs more work,
especially with GNU libc and TLS...

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Gib Dein Bestes. Dann übertriff Dich selbst!