plugin includes for MELT

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile@starynkevitch.net
Thu Feb 28 17:57:00 GMT 2008


Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Basile,
> 
> A mere quick portability review:

A big thanks

> 
> * Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote on Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:39:47PM CET:
>>> compile-basilys-defs:	
>>> 	echo '#generated compile-basilys-defs' > $@
>>> 	echo 'ALL_CFLAGS="' $(ALL_CFLAGS) '"' >> $@
>>> 	echo 'ALL_CPPFLAGS="' -I$(PWD) $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) '"' >> $@
> 
> You should output to a temporary file and mv that to the target.
> That avoids incomplete (yet seemingly up to date) files when the
> user aborts with CTRL-\.  See other targets that do similar.
> 
>>> run-basilys.d: run-basilys.h \
>>>    $(CONFIG_H) $(SYSTEM_H) $(TIMEVAR_H) $(TM_H)  $(TREE_H)  $(GGC_H)  \
>>>    tree-pass.h basilys.h gt-basilys.h
>>>       $(CC) -MT run-basilys-deps -MMD  $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) $<
> 
> The build compiler may not be gcc and may not understand -MT and -MMD.

Yes, I know. But how can I avoid that?


> Wasn't there a proposal to use depcomp in gcc a while ago?

What is depcomp exactly? Apparently there is a depcomp file at top of 
GCC sourcedir. What exactly for? It appears in libcpp/Makefile.in but I 
am not sure to understand fully how to use it.

Anyway, I do not plain to run my MELT when host compiler is not GCC...

Actually, it could happen that MELT generated C files uses GCC extension 
(they don't use them yet)

> 
>>> run-basilys-deps:
>>> 	mkdir -p $(melt_build_include_dir); \
> 
> mkdir -p is not portable, use $(mkinstalldirs).

Is $(mkinstalldirs) usable for non-installed directories? (in other 
words, it does not do any chown or chmod?
> 
>>> 	for f in $^ ; do \
> 
>>> 		cf=$(echo $$f | sed -q ":^$(srcdir)/config/:$(melt_build_include_dir)/config:"); \
> 
> Did you mean `echo ... ` here?  make will interpret $(echo ...) wrongly,
Yes!
> I think this command will do nothing.  Also, I think two spaces extra
> indentation is normal in the GCC Makefile command lines.
> 
> "sed -q" is not portable, but "sed -n" is.  Also, your sed script looks
> very weird.  Did you mean to use the 's' command?  If yes, you rely on
> "$(srcdir)/config/" not containing any colons nor any other characters
> special to sed.  You might want to use '|' as delimiter instead of ':'.
> 
>>> 		if [ -n "$$cf" ] ;  then  \
>>> 			cp -va $$f $$cf ; \
> 
> "cp -va" is not portable.  You can use cp -pR.

Actually -p is enough; I'm copying files only!

> 
>>> 		else  \
>>> 			cp -va $$f $(melt_build_include_dir)/ ; \
> 
> Likewise.


Thanks for your input. It helps a lot.

Regards.

-- 
Basile STARYNKEVITCH         http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net mobile: +33 6 8501 2359
8, rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France
*** opinions {are only mines, sont seulement les miennes} ***



More information about the Gcc mailing list