tuples: data structure separation from trees

Steven Bosscher stevenb.gcc@gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 16:12:00 GMT 2007

On 3/29/07, Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com> wrote:
> After doing the GIMPLE_MODIFY_STMT work, I've come to the conlusion that
> to continue overloading trees will be more work in the long run than doing the
> actual separation between tuples and trees.  This business of "this is
> a tree, but not really", includes far too much special casing.  It seems it's
> best to bite the bullet now and separate the data structures in one sweep.

Did you just become my latest hero? Yes you did, yes you did!

I think it's very brave of you to draw this conclusion, and my guess
is that it is the right one ;-) .  I hope you can get some folks to
help you.  I'll try if I can.

Wrt. the locations discussion, people have suggested you can look at
other compiler's IRs, which seems like a good idea.  But you may also
want to check out how INSN_LOCATORs work in RTL.  There, we keep the
file/line info on the side, which seems to work rather well.

Gr.
Steven