Apple's Objective-C 2.0 extensions

Mike Stump mrs@apple.com
Wed Mar 7 19:15:00 GMT 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 4:44 AM, Michael Hopkins wrote:
> 1) Does anyone know when the syntax extensions will be available &
> working in the gcc compiler?

I'd like to contribute all the Objective-C front end features in time
for 4.3, unfortunately, I've not started doing that work.  I'm hoping
we'll have some time to do that in the next couple of months.  Do you
want to run them on darwin9 or some other OS?  If another OS, there
is runtime support needed for the various features new in Objective-C
2.0 that are required for full functionality.  If you'd like to get
your hands dirty and help out with the libobjc runtime, let me know.

> 2) Will their garbage collection & accelerated message dispatch
> mechanisms also be supported?

Does -fobjc-gc work for you now?  It's been on mainline for a while
now.  As for accelerated message dispatch, I'm not exactly certain
which feature you're referring to.  The feature I think you're
referring (call 0xnnn, instead of call __objc_msgSend, where 0xnnn is
a fixed address for the platform) to is 95% in mainline now, but
there is an ever so small slice that prevents it from working as I
recall.  If you wanted to finish wiring it up, I could provide pointers.