Re; Maintaining, was: Re: Reduce Dwarf Debug Size

Devang Patel devang.patel@gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:32:00 GMT 2007

> >    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2006-03/msg00167.html
>
> This patch looks wrong to me.  I don't understand how it could be
> correct in the presence of __attribute__ ((aligned (N))).  It checks
> TYPE_PACKED but not TYPE_ALIGN or TYPE_USER_ALIGN.  The default hook
> assumes that objects larger than pointers are not naturally aligned,
> which does not make sense to me: given a type, we know the alignment,
> and we should use that.

This patch for the cases when alignment is *not known* at
compile time.

is_packed is for targets that support various alignment rules for packed
structs.

See
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-12/msg00390.html
for more discussion on this topic.