RFH: GPLv3

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Mon Jul 16 15:44:00 GMT 2007

Richard Kenner wrote:
>>> You really are NOT a lawyer (or at least I would presume that from what
>>> you are writing). Much of the above is just WAY off!
>> I am not a lawyer, but there is still no contract.  No parties to the
>> supposed contract, no consideration, no meeting of the minds.
>
> Yes, that's right, which is why I and others are trying to tell you
> that the file COPYING doesn't constitute a license (which *does*
> require a "meeting of the minds").

This is very tedious.

A license does not require the meeting of minds.

The actual license is often word-for-word
> identical, but it is provided in a context in which there *is* such
> a relationship between the parties.  If no such relationship exists, you have
> no legal right to use the software.

Despite the lack of a relationship with anyone at FSF, many people do
download GPL software an use it, in accord with the license.  They have
a legal right to use the software.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077