RFH: GPLv3

Robert Dewar dewar@adacore.com
Sat Jul 14 22:17:00 GMT 2007

Michael Eager wrote:

> Unfortunately, as I understand it, this is not the case.  If you
> apply a GPLv3 patch to a previously GPLv2 branch after August 1, then
> this entire branch, and all files in it, magically and silently
> becomes GPLv3.  (This is unless FSF agrees with Mark's proposal
> to dual license patches.)
>
> As I understand the current situation, knowing the version number
> will not tell you whether the code is licensed under GPLv2 or GPLv3.

That's why I suggested a simple rule that ALL software on the site is
GPLv3 after a certain date, so you don't have to know the version number
or anything else, just the date on which you access the site, and if you
are GPLv3 allergic, then the simple rule is not to take ANYTHING off
the site after that date. This is really much the easiest rule.