RFH: GPLv3

Brooks Moses brooks.moses@codesourcery.com
Sat Jul 14 02:01:00 GMT 2007


Geoffrey Keating wrote:
> Speaking as an individual developer who nonetheless needs to follow
> his company's policies on licensing, I need it to be *absolutely
> clear* whether a piece of software can be used under GPLv2 or not.
> 
> If there's a situation where 'silent' license upgrades can occur,
> where even just one file in a release might be GPLv3, or any other
> situation where the license is not clear, then to me that software is
> unusable.  This applies to subversion as well to releases in tarballs.

That's a good point.  I think it would be a good idea to pick a clear 
point at which the gcc mainline on SVN will stop being GPLv2, and make 
sure that a tarball of its state immediately before that point is 
produced.  (I guess that point is whenever the first license-change 
patch gets committed.)

This should also be documented clearly on the GCC main page, I think.

- Brooks



More information about the Gcc mailing list