RFC: GIMPLE tuples. Design and implementation proposal

Daniel Berlin dberlin@dberlin.org
Tue Jul 10 22:03:00 GMT 2007

On 7/10/07, Rob1weld@aol.com <Rob1weld@aol.com> wrote:
> >In a message dated 7/9/2007 2:37:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> dberlin@dberlin.org writes:
> >> http://hal.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/
> >>  >which describes a means to obtain  three-address code here
> >>  http://hal.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/ext.html#toc24 .
> >>
> >>  >>2007/7/08, Diego Novillo <_dnovillo@redhat.com_
> >>  >>processing?  It's not clear from your message what the   advantages
> would
> >>  >>different).
> >>

> >You haven't explained what advantages CIL's IR has over  GIMPLE.
> I thought it was well explained on page:
> _http://hal.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/cil001.html_ (http://hal.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/cil001.html)

No, since as i said, their IR is the same as GIMPLE.

> It is your project to write the way you want. You "RFC letter" said
> "Thoughts/comments on the
> proposal?". My reply is that this
> page:_http://www.cs.nyu.edu/leunga/www/MLRISC/Doc/html/mlrisc-ir.html_
> (http://www.cs.nyu.edu/leunga/www/MLRISC/Doc/html/mlrisc-ir.html)
> and this site: _http://www.cs.nyu.edu/leunga/www/MLRISC/Doc/html/INTRO.html_
> (http://www.cs.nyu.edu/leunga/www/MLRISC/Doc/html/INTRO.html)  provide  a
> better explanation of IR issues.
Okay, let me ask a different question.
What makes you believe we aren't aware of these projects?
MLRISC has been around for *years* as has CIL.
In fact, I reported bugs against CIL.

We are quite aware of what all of them do, we just do not see the
advantages, and you have not given any explicit enumeration of them.