no_new_pseudos

Paolo Bonzini paolo.bonzini@lu.unisi.ch
Mon Jul 2 16:26:00 GMT 2007

Kenneth Zadeck wrote:
> I do not remember if it was stevenb or bonzini that observed that
> because of changes that came with the dataflow branch it is now trivial
> to get rid of no_new_pseudos.

For the record, this was Steven's observation.  And Kenner confirming
that this was the original purpose of no_new_pseudos is very
encouraging, since he's an integral part of the history of GCC's RTL
passes. :-)

I think that, as a first step, we should remove setting no_new_pseudos
to 1 until just before reload.  This will effectively turn
no_new_pseudos into a synonym for "reload_in_progress || reload_completed".

Paolo