"Installing GCC" documentation: Why a nonstandard title page?

Jim Wilson wilson@specifix.com
Wed Feb 21 19:50:00 GMT 2007

Brooks Moses wrote:
> The install.texi manual has the following bit of code for the title page:

Looking at the svn history, I see that this titlepage line is present in
the initial checkin, and the initial checkin says
         * doc/install.texi: New file. Converted to texinfo from the HTML
         documentation in wwwdocs/htdocs/install.
This was 2001-05-11.  You could try looking at the mailing lists for
more info, but probably this is all a side-effect of the conversion from
HTML to texinfo, and maybe also the desire for the html output to look
good.  Probably many more people are viewing the output on our web site
than via the info program.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com