Failure to build libjava on 512MB machine

Marco Trudel mtrudel@gmx.ch
Thu Feb 1 09:12:00 GMT 2007

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Benjamin> but I am
> Benjamin> somewhat concerned with the response of the java maintainers (and
> Benjamin> others) that it's OK to require >512MB to bootstrap gcc with java, or
> Benjamin> that make times "WORKSFORME."
>
> My proposal was more that, if it "WORKSFORUS", then I wouldn't bother
> hacking on the build.  Build hacking is unpleasant and I am somewhat
> motivated to avoid it.
>
> Anyhow, I'm testing a patch for this case.  And, this will make it a
> bit simpler to split other objects should it be needed.

Aren't you here solving the wrong problem? The problem that is caused by
the real problem?
If it takes about 30 to 40min to build this html/parser.o and gnu-xml.o
needs about 1 or 2 minutes but is - last time I took a look - a lot
bigger than the html parser, shouldn't then be investigated why this
html parser is such a hard thing?
Otherwise there might just come another object after some changes with
the same problem...

Marco