Making your branches smaller for easier merges

Daniel Berlin dberlin@dberlin.org
Wed Sep 27 21:03:00 GMT 2006


On 9/27/06, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com> wrote:
> Daniel Berlin wrote on 09/27/06 16:37:
>
> > If you are just writing a new pass, you can probably get away with
> > branching only a few files, and switching those may be a lot better
> > strategy than branching the entire trunk tree branch to modify 6 files
> > in the gcc dir.
> >
> But this means that I'm at the mercy of mainline random breakage, right?
Yes

>  Most of the time I would rather do controlled merges when I know
> mainline is in a usable state.

Some of us like to live on the edge.
Seriously though, it's a tradeoff between how much time you want to
spend on branch maintenance vs how much mainline breakage you are
willing to accept.

I just wanted to throw it out there since some people may not know
it's even possible



More information about the Gcc mailing list