GCC 4.3 Platform List

Eric Christopher echristo@apple.com
Thu Sep 21 20:03:00 GMT 2006


> I'm glad you asked ;)  Although you probably won't be.
> 
> I must admit I've always felt mips-elf to be a less-than-ideal
> replacement for mips-sgi-irix6.5.  The former is 32-bit only, while the
> latter includes o32, n32 and n64, giving both 32-bit and 64-bit coverage.
> I fully agree with removing mips-sgi-irix6.5 as a primary platform,
> but I think mipsisa64-elf might be a better replacement than mips-elf.
> By default, mipsisa64-elf includes libraries for {-mips32,-mips64} x
> {-EL,-EB} x {-msoft-float,-mhard-float}.  (And FWIW, I tend to test
> all eight, and the different multilibs show up different problems.)
> 

Agreed.

> I take David's point about mips{,el}-linux-gnu being another alternative.
> I suppose mipsisa64-elf has the advantage of being a simulator target
> than anyone can test.  On the other hand, mips{,el}-linux-gnu allows
> proper Fortran, libstdc++ and Java testing, for instance.  I can see
> arguments both ways.  However, by the same reasoning as above, I'd prefer
> mips64{,el}-linux-gnu over mips{,el}-linux-gnu because the former includes
> n32 and n64 as well as o32.
> 

Agreed. Personally, not having any mips hardware anymore I'd prefer the 
sim target, but I can understand someone wanting linux instead.

Either is fine for me.

-eric



More information about the Gcc mailing list