build failure, GMP not available

Geoffrey Keating geoffk@apple.com
Mon Oct 30 21:41:00 GMT 2006


> One more thing, I initially went down the road of including the GMP/ 
> MPFR
> sources in the gcc tree and building them as part of the bootstrap
> process.  But the consensus was not to do that:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-10/msg00167.html

I think the problem is that Mark also said

> I do think we should do is provide a known-good version (whether  
> via a tag in some version control system, or via a tarball) of  
> these libraries so that people can easily get versions that work.

and this is the part that didn't work; it's not good enough to think  
that a good version might exist, you need to know what it actually  
is, because knowing what it is might change your opinion on whether  
it's good...

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 2462 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/attachments/20061030/b8e332a2/attachment.p7s>


More information about the Gcc mailing list