Abt SIMD Emulation

Mohamed Shafi shafitvm@yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 07:50:00 GMT 2006

First thanks for the reply.

I want to know what can be done in the back end of a target to indicate that SIMD stuff should be emulated all the way.

__attribute__ ((vector_size (NN))) is something that can be done in programs.

Is there any target macros or hooks available for that.
Will the target hook  TARGET_VECTOR_MODE_SUPPORTED_P hep me to indicate that?

Guess this is the right mailing list for my question.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shafi.

----- Original Message ----
From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>
To: Mohamed Shafi <shafitvm@yahoo.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 8:01:11 PM
Subject: Re: Abt SIMD Emulation

Mohamed Shafi <shafitvm@yahoo.com> writes:

This question is more appropriate for the gcc-help mailing list than
for the gcc mailing list.

> For targets which doesn't have simd hardware support like fr30 ,  simd stuff is emulated?

Yes, if you use __attribute__ ((vector_size (NN))) for a target which
does not support vector registers of that size, gcc will emulate the
vector handling.

> Is there some flags/macros in gcc to indicate that?

To indicate what?

> How is it done in other targets which deosnt have the hardware support?

In the obvious tedious way: as a loop over the elements.

Ian