RFC: "make pdf" target for documentation?

Brooks Moses bmoses@stanford.edu
Mon Oct 9 20:14:00 GMT 2006


I would like to propose that a "make pdf" target be added to the GCC 
general makefile.

I did a search to see if there was any previous discussion on this, and 
what I found were a few messages from 1999 and 2001 that seemed to imply 
that it might be a good idea, and even included a partial patch, but the 
conversation apparently died without anything coming of it.

Personally, I find .pdf files to fulfill a similar niche as .dvi files, 
but much more usefully.  Support for them on current computers is far 
more widespread, and they're more portable.  They're also my preferred 
means for looking at this sort of thing on-screen, but I acknowledge 
that I'm weird that way and more people like html.  :)

In any case, some observations that I think are relevant to this proposal:

* Generating .pdf files is exactly like generating .dvi files, except 
that one uses "texi2pdf" instead of "texi2dvi".  Thus, the makefile 
additions should be quite straightforward.

* Making the .pdf files by hand with texi2pdf is a pain, because of 
include files in various directories.

* Using "make dvi" and then running dvipdf on the results is not a 
complete substitute.  When the .pdf file is made directly from the .texi 
file, it gets a table-of-contents menu of hyperlinks that shows up in 
Acrobat's "bookmarks" pane and is invaluable for quickly locating things 
within the document; also, all of the in-document hyperlinks (@uref, 
etc.) are proper links.  None of that happens with "make dvi" and dvipdf.

* Having a "make pdf" target makes it considerably easier for people 
like me who have a TeX installation but no .dvi viewer to run a 
TeX-based check of their documentation changes, thereby (I suspect) 
reducing the number of format-specific errors that creep in.

I would be willing to do the work of figuring out the relevant makefile 
changes and submitting patches, but before I do that, I'm curious as to 
whether or not such a change is actually likely to get approved. 
Comments?  Suggestions on how to go about doing this?

Thanks much,
- Brooks



More information about the Gcc mailing list