Question about vec_extract

Jim Wilson wilson@specifix.com
Wed Jul 12 18:42:00 GMT 2006

Andrew Pinski wrote:
> I have been trying to figure out when the pattern vec_extract is
> invoked.

I looked at this when I worked on the mips simd support.  In
config/mips/mips-ps-3d.md I wrote
;; ??? This is only generated if we perform a vector operation that has
to be
;; emulated.  There is no other way to get a vector mode bitfield extract
;; currently.

So it can be generated, but you have to use a vector mode that doesn't
exist on the target.  Which kind of defeats the purpose of having it.
Anyways, I think all we need here is a little syntax to get the
operation we want.  Maybe a builtin function or something.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com