gcc 4.2 more strict check for "function called through a non-compatible type"

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr@integrable-solutions.net
Fri Jul 7 14:59:00 GMT 2006

Yuri Pudgorodsky <yur@ptci.ru> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Yuri Pudgorodsky <yur@ptci.ru> writes:
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > | The result of calling function pointer casted to sufficiently different
| > | type is
| > | a real example an undefined behavior.
| >
| > As I said earlier, it is fruitless to try to impose an ordering on
| > the space of undefined behaviour.
| >
| > -- Gaby
| >
| My whole concern is about the rule for artificially generated trap
| (turned out
| to be for an ICE hiding purpose)  that has been changed once more in 4.2
| and yet the changed rule does not catch all cases.

I believe the consensus has been summarized by Mark.

The remaining preoccupation is how we write the documentation.  My
objection is to an attempt to put an ordering on the space of
undefined behaviour as a basis to reject the description "unspecified".

And, yes syntax matters.

-- Gaby