Status and rationale for toplevel bootstrap (was Re: Example of debugging GCC with toplevel bootstrap)
Richard Guenther
richard.guenther@gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:09:00 GMT 2006
On 1/16/06, Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
> I don't see why the requirement for a "native compiler" is anything
> stronger than "a binary that runs on this machine".
>
> I "native" compiler is defined as one where host==target. Anything else
> is something we call a "cross-compiler".
So any bi- or multi-arch configurations are then by definition both a
cross and a regular compiler at the same time? Or how do they fit
in your scheme? Note that the difference to say bi-arch x86_64 is
that ppc64 defaults to -m32 rather than -m64. Still I can "cross"-compile
to 32bit on a x86_64 system using -m32. I never tried to "bootstrap"
on x86_64 using --host=i686 --target=i686 to build a 32bit compiler
building 32bit but of course being able to run on x86_64. Will this
then be a canadian cross in your definition? ;) (i.e. build != host)
Richard.
More information about the Gcc
mailing list