Status and rationale for toplevel bootstrap (was Re: Example of debugging GCC with toplevel bootstrap)

Paolo Bonzini paolo.bonzini@lu.unisi.ch
Mon Jan 16 15:54:00 GMT 2006

 > But you cannot compile *any* Ada program (even
> an empty function) without an RTS in the path since it makes builtin
> references to the RTS.

For what it's worth, that's the same for Java.  But the compiler is not
written in Java so you can "bootstrap" it as part of GCC even if you
build libjava after it.

And note that to me this is not really a bootstrap, because we're not
using jc1 in any way -- it's just built to stress test cc1!  So your
stricter definition of a bootstrap is not really what GCC has been doing
for years.  (Not that I don't understand your different definition; but
it's just a matter of semantics).

Paolo