GCC 4.0.2 Status Report

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Wed Sep 7 15:21:00 GMT 2005


Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> 
>> There's no special freeze for the 4.0 branch at this point; we'll 
>> leave it in regression-fixes only mode.  The branch will freeze when I 
>> create the first release candidate.
> 
> 
> Some of your C++ fixes have been quite invasive.  Maybe it's too much 
> haste to spin the rc before the bugs can be detected?

I think that's an overstaement.

The only one that worries me very much is the static data member change, 
and I'm much less worried now that we've dealt with a couple of problems.

The other one which I flagged when posting it is the 
statement-expression change, but that one is actually much more 
localized.  It's possible something's wrong with it, but, fundamentally, 
it's much simpler, and more solid, than what was there before.

We've got a fair amount of time between now and any actual release.  It 
will have been a week since the static data member patch before we do 
RC1, and then, well, we'll see what the pre-release testing shows.

> (I think it would have been good to apply them to 4.0 a week or two 
> after they've been in mainline, btw).

Thanks for the feedback.  I think your comments reflect some 
C++-centricity, asm ore dangerous patches go into the release branches 
routinely. Doing as you suggest adds rather a lot of overhead and, to 
the extent that the patches might cause problems, gets them exposed more 
immediately for testing.  Even on release branches we expect to have 
variations in quality; that's why we freeze in the period immediately 
before the release.

-- 
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC
mark@codesourcery.com
(916) 791-8304



More information about the Gcc mailing list