CVS access to the uberbaum tree

Jim Wilson wilson@specifix.com
Mon Oct 17 19:25:00 GMT 2005


Peter Barada wrote:
> Does the uberbaum tree exist on savanna, or is it only on
> sources.redhat.com?  If so, what is the procedure for accessing it?

I would not recommend use of uberbaum.  There are some old-time 
ex-Cygnus hackers that use it, because it gives an environment familiar 
to the one we used inside Cygnus.  For everyone else, it probably causes 
more problems than it solves.

uberbaum exists only on sourceware.org.  It is a symlink tree that tries 
to make two CVS repositories look like one.  Because it is a fake tree, 
you can not use it for checking in patches.  You can only use it for 
checkouts.  Because few people use it, when it breaks, it may be a while 
before it is fixed.  Personally, I find it easier to just check out the 
different trees and then create a local symlink tree.

Note that since gcc is in the process of moving to subversion, uberbaum 
will likely stop working in a couple of weeks.  It is probably pointless 
  to start using it now.

I don't recall how to use uberbaum, though I do recall that the 
instructions are buried in one of the gcc mailing list archives.  If you 
search, you should be able to find them.
-- 
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com



More information about the Gcc mailing list