building gcc 4.0.0 on Solaris

Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos papadopo@shfj.cea.fr
Mon May 2 12:18:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

>>The build fails with the following message:
>>ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_DISP32:
>>file .libs/libstdc++.lax/libsupc++convenience.a/vterminate.o:
>>symbol <unknown>: offset 0xfccd33ad is non-aligned
>

> Probably a Sun 'as' bug, a similar problem was reported on Solaris 7:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html
>
> GCC 4.0.0 is known to bootstrap on Solaris 8 with:
> as: Sun WorkShop 6 03/08/05 Compiler Common 6.0 Patch 114802-01
> ld: Software Generation Utilities - Solaris Link Editors: 5.8-1.285

OK, I guess the latest compilers from Sun ship with a better "as".
Unfortunately I'm stuck with Sun Studio One 7 for now. Maybe it should
be documented that a recent version of "as" is needed by gcc.

>>Would it be possible to document this requirement in the platform pages?
>>http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#sparc-sun-solaris2
>

> It is already documented in *-*-solaris2* that 2.15 is broken on the platform.

Oh, I don't know how I missed that, sorry. I guess I was looking for the
error message, not for the solution.

>>Therefore :
>>1) This seems to be x86-specific, so I would suggest moving this
>>paragraph from sparc-sun-solaris2* to i?86-*-solaris2*
>

> The problem is present on SPARC so the paragraph can't be moved.
> Not sure whether the bug ID is correct though.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it looks like either the
problem is not present on SPARC, or the comment is wrong: patch 4910101
is for x86 platforms only.

In any case this looks wrong and needs to be fixed.

--
Dimitri Papadopoulos