GCC 3.4.x => 4.0 compatiblity

Andrew Muraco amuraco@gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:40:00 GMT 2005


Okay - at the moment my entire system is compiled with 3.4 (latest on
gentoo's portage -  3.4.3.20050110) This included important libraries
such as glibc, and many other system libraries.

When gcc 4.0 is released on gentoo's portage (which should be very
shortly following the offical release on gcc.gnu.org) i plan on
upgrading to this compiler

After the compiler is installed im going to recompile glibc using gcc
4.0 and recompile other major parts of the system

Will I notice any compatitiblity problems by doing this?
Will I need to recompile all the packages before I can do glibc?
Will I encounter programs that will not function after being compiled
againist gcc 4.0? Will it be the actual code of the program or the
libraries on my computer or both?

Just a wounder, if it appears to be more trouble then its worth then i
might just nuke everything and spend a weekend reinstalling gentoo
with gcc 4.0 from the start.

Andrew Muraco
Amuraco@gmail.com

Tuxp3



More information about the Gcc mailing list