Do CO++ signed types have modulo semantics?
Paul Schlie
schlie@comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 14:59:00 GMT 2005
> From: Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org>
>> Overall, I guess I still simply believe the the first rule of optimization
>> is to preserve existing semantics unless explicitly authorized otherwise,
>> and then only if accompanied with corresponding warnings for all potentially
>> behavior altering assumptions applied.
>
> It is, you just believe that semantics exist where they don't.
- Agreed, I do believe that an implementation should strive to define
likely useful and consistent behaviors for those which the standard
has defined as being undefined.
As an implementation which chooses not define a specific behavior for one
specified as being undefined, which it may, as an undefined behavior may
invoke any behavior, then it remains undefined. And may correspondingly
yield an truly undefined resulting behavior if ever presumed to differ
from the factual behavior which the compiler would otherwise produce;
therefore of likely dubious value.
More information about the Gcc
mailing list