A Suggestion for Release Testing
Scott Robert Ladd
scott.ladd@coyotegulch.com
Fri Jun 10 02:47:00 GMT 2005
Joe Buck wrote:
> With 4.0.0, compiling a complete GNU/Linux distribution reveals bugs
> in GCC, but even more bugs in C++ software that is not valid C++.
> Assuming we can get the distros to fix the latter set of problems...
I don't have a good solution for this problem, other than education.
> ...it would certainly be good for release testing if we built
> complete distros, or significant chunks thereof. It would be even
> better if this could be coordinated with the people producing all
> that software; I think that (for example) GCC and KDE could both do
> better about trying each others' early code sooner than we do, and
> communicate any problems found.
I'm hoping that creating a formal "core software" test might foster some
of that communication. We have to start somewhere.
..Scott
More information about the Gcc
mailing list