Eliminating R_PPC_REL32 relocations

Joshua N. Edmison jedmison@vt.edu
Mon Dec 12 21:15:00 GMT 2005


Hello,

I am experimenting with some different memory architectures and would like to isolate instruction and data accesses (Harvard architecture style). I am currently working with the PPC 405 processor and I am cross compiling applications using Crosstool (gcc-3.3.1 and glibc-2.3.2). The R_PPC_REL32 relocations that appear when I compile shared/dynamic libraries violate the separation I am trying to achieve by placing data values (essentially jump addresses) in the executable (.text, .fini, .init) segments.  I can't seem to find any options that allow me to elminate/remove these types of relocations.  Are these types of relocations necessary when compiling shared/dynamic objects for the 405?  If not, how the compiler be instructed not to use them?  Is this some sort of optimization (note: I did not use optimization in the compile)? 

Thanks, 

Josh



More information about the Gcc mailing list