Implementing multi-methods for C++ in GCC

Lassi A.Tuura lassi.tuura@cern.ch
Thu Sep 30 10:57:00 GMT 2004


> I strongly suggest that you have at least a draft standard before you
> start, and that you think seriously about corner cases and interaction
> with other language features before you start coding (and let others 
> try
> to find flaws with it as well).

Thanks for your comments and encouragement to pursue this path.  It 
seems we have the option to actually run this past the standards 
committee members earlier rather than later, so we will make sure we do 
so.  We are familiar enough with the standard that it shouldn't be a 
problem.

I continue to hope the implementation is 95% run-time library matter 
and relatively little needs to be done in the compiler proper, but that 
doesn't make it any easier to specify in language terms :-)  At this 
point I can only say that I have thought through the problem enough to 
have realised how much I haven't yet considered.

> The fact that this hasn't always been
> done has contributed to lots of problems with GCC extensions in the 
> past,
> and the implementation will be cleaner if you identify as many issues
> as possible up front.

Agreed.

Lassi
--
If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem.
	--C. Durance, Computer Science 234



More information about the Gcc mailing list