PING: Question: Need to store ObjC-specific info in type nodes.

Joseph S. Myers jsm@polyomino.org.uk
Fri Sep 24 08:46:00 GMT 2004


On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Ziemowit Laski wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2004, at 18.36, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > I find either (1) or (3) infinitely preferable to (2), and would
> > suggest you consider a (3a) in which the ObjC/ObjC++ front ends
> > enlarge the C/C++ lang_type structures (in much the same way that all
> > these front ends currently build on struct c_common_identifier to
> > create their struct lang_identifier).  This is preferable to (3) if
> > the additional data is small (up to, say, four pointers), or if it
> > needs allocating for practically every RECORD_TYPE.  If it is both
> > large and rarely needed, your original (3) is better.
> 
> The usage patterns would definitely lean towards (3a).  I guess I'll
> investigate
> the c_common_identifier/lang_identifier machinery.

I would concur with the principle here of enlarging the structures only 
for ObjC/ObjC++ rather than making C and C++ carry the extra memory 
consumption cost for fields only used in ObjC/ObjC++.

-- 
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
  http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/#c90status - status of C90 for GCC 4.0
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)
    jsm28@gcc.gnu.org (Bugzilla assignments and CCs)



More information about the Gcc mailing list