MUAs (was Re: Serious problems with tree-ssa operand handling)

Ross Combs rocombs@cs.nmsu.edu
Fri Sep 17 07:46:00 GMT 2004

Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:

> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:24:35PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> > Does anybody have sources for /usr/ucb/mail for SunOS 4.1.4 ...
>
> http://nail.sourceforge.net/

Not the same thing.  I know because I was recently moved to this
program involuntarily.  I agree that nail is nicer in some ways
(MIME and threading support), but is broken in others.  The
author refuses to accept patches which aren't BSD-like or which
go outside of POSIX.2.

So it actually lacks some of the undocumented features of the old
mail client.  It will never have command-line editing because it
would be too GNU-like, nor traditional mbox searching ("from
userwithoutdomain") because POSIX only describes exact string
matches.

Sorry I know this is OT but I thought I should address Richard's
claim since it is only mostly true.

-Ross