SC decision on version numbering: 4.0

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Thu Sep 9 22:22:00 GMT 2004

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
> | Let it be said that I still do not agree with this decision.
> | I disapprove of any change to the major version number except when
>
> At this stage, it is less an issue of approving or disapproving.
> Mark had recently recalled the excellent point that, as RM for
> mainline, he makes decisions and expects people to respect them.  I
> guess that point holds for SC decisions too.

I didn't read Zack's posting to imply anything else - just to
respectfully register his disagreement.

> | there is no other alternative.

It's hard to argue with that position, since it's hard to imagine
when "no other alternative" would be the case.

It's been suggested that 5.0 might be appropriate when we have
a really stable C++ ABI, including libstdc++ header files.  You
could make same condition for the in-progress Java "binary
compatible" ABI.
--
	--Per Bothner