Compile performance of Linux kernels in mainline gcc

Zack Weinberg zack@codesourcery.com
Sun Oct 31 04:35:00 GMT 2004


Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> writes:
> On Oct 30, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> Quotes? You mean >>"<< ?  That is 7 bit ASCII too.
>
> There are also UTF quotes >>\223\224<< which are now printed when quoting.
> Again if your LC_* says that you are using UTF-8 and really your
> terminal does not support it, then what you do expect.

That may not be the whole story.  When I trigger the same diagnostic
from mainline GCC in a terminal that doesn't support Unicode, with
LANG set to en_US.UTF-8, I get this:

test.c:5: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ###foo###
differ in signedness

where each # is a different garbage character.  In other words,
there's garbage around the function name, but the diagnostic is still
readable.  I want to know why Andi is seeing nothing but garbage after
the "of".

There may not be much we can do about this in any case - there is no
programmatic way to probe whether the terminal supports Unicode that I
know of; we are stuck trusting the locale.

zw



More information about the Gcc mailing list