RFC on potential operand/operator processing simplification.

Paul Schlie schlie@comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 20:27:00 GMT 2004

> From: Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
>     Regardless of my apparently poor quoting and/or writing style,
>     any thoughts on the pro's/con's based on my attempted rephrasing:
>
>      http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-10/msg00999.html
>
> I, for one, still cannot figure out what problems you're trying to solve.

Although embarrassed, while attempting to provide an example, I noticed that
GCC does indirectly preserve the ability to identify an operand's native
type as zero_ and sign_ extend cast operations are in fact visible, and may
be utilized in rtl instruction templates to define instructions which may
implicitly cast it's operands, thereby eliminating the need to explicitly do
so although specified.

(Which I candidly missed earlier, and was the basis of my misguided premise.
 Very sorry, and thanks for forcing my question to be further clarified.)

-paul-