Cross compilers without assemblers (rant)

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Mon Oct 25 21:31:00 GMT 2004

Zack Weinberg wrote:

> As a compromise position, can I suggest what I suggested at the end of
> my original rant?  Always probe for assembler features in a native
> configuration.  In cross configurations, probe if <target>-as exists,
> or if doing a unified tree build.

No objection.  But Kelley's patch is preferable to the current
situation, which is not acceptable.  (I'm assuming it does the
right thing for cross configurations, if <target>-as exists.)

 > Don't probe otherwise.

Or perhaps (for extra points) only warn in that case.  Though warnings
in a long make log tend to be overlooked anyway ...
--
	--Per Bothner