Build Breaker while trying to build gcc-3.2.2 using gcc-3.4.3

James E Wilson wilson@specifixinc.com
Thu Nov 11 01:53:00 GMT 2004


Nitin Gupta wrote:
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/intl'
> gcc -c -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes 
> -Wmissing-prototypes   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -If -I. -I./f -I./config 
> -I./../include f/com.c -o f/com.o
> f/com.c:11061: error: conflicting types for 'ffecom_gfrt_basictype'
> f/com.h:229: error: previous declaration of 'ffecom_gfrt_basictype' was 
> here
> gupta@gupta-fc2 %> gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.3

These kinds of problems are unavoidable in general.  Gcc-3.4 did not 
exist when gcc-3.2 was released, so it was impossible to make sure that 
gcc-3.2 would compile OK with gcc-3.4 when gcc-3.2 was released.

Since we are no longer maintaining gcc-3.2, we aren't going to fix this.

If you build gcc-3.2 the recommended way, e.g. via bootstrap, then you 
won't run into this problem.  The fortran front end will be built by the 
bootstrapped gcc-3.2 instead of gcc-3.4, and you won't get this error.

If you are building a cross, then you bootstrap a native gcc-3.2 first, 
and then use the native gcc-3.2 to build the cross gcc-3.2.
-- 
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com



More information about the Gcc mailing list