RFC: Stricter semantics for renaming pragmas

Andrew Pinski pinskia@physics.uc.edu
Wed May 19 17:20:00 GMT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 13:13, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:54:08PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
We currently have three ways of changing the object-file name of a
variable or function.  They are __asm__("foo") tacked on the end of
the declaration; #pragma redefine_extname; #pragma extern_prefix.
Who is using this feature now?  (That is, which well-known programs?
glibc?).
Which of the three ways is most commonly used?

That matters because any simplifications that are made should try to
break
as little as possible.
#pragma redefine_extname appears in Solaris system headers.  Support
for it is required to compile programs on Solaris.  For example, see
although a different patch was later adopted.
I presume from the documentation that #pragma extern_prefix appears in
Tru64 system headers, but I don't know that from direct observation.
I hope that neither #pragma is used anywhere else.
#pragma redefine_extname is used for -fmudflap now and there was some
talk
about enabling it all the time.

- Andrew