RFC: Stricter semantics for renaming pragmas

Joe Buck Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM
Wed May 19 16:46:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:54:08PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> We currently have three ways of changing the object-file name of a
> variable or function.  They are __asm__("foo") tacked on the end of
> the declaration; #pragma redefine_extname; #pragma extern_prefix.

Who is using this feature now?  (That is, which well-known programs? glibc?).
Which of the three ways is most commonly used?

That matters because any simplifications that are made should try to break
as little as possible.