Why is gcc-3.3.3 in a strange directory on ftp.gnu.org?

Jim Wilson wilson@specifixinc.com
Mon May 17 02:31:00 GMT 2004


Dan Kegel wrote:
Why is
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3.3
in a different place than all the other releases on that site?
We don't directly control the FSF ftp.gnu.org site.  So this would have 
to be discussed with FSF sysadmins.  I am not even sure who is the right 
person to contact.

I recall that there were problems getting gcc-3.3.3 uploaded to the FSF 
ftp site when it came out.  We had a new release manager who had never 
done this before, and at roughly the same time the FSF changed their 
upload process because of yet another security problem.  The result was 
a lot of confusion.

I suspect what happened is a little too literal copying from the 
gcc.gnu.org site.  If you use ftp to conenct to gcc.gnu.org, then all 
gcc releases are in pub/gcc/releases.  This happens to be where the 
release ended up on ftp.gnu.org, but the directory structure on 
ftp.gnu.org is a bit different, and it should have gone into just gcc 
instead of gcc/releases.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com




More information about the Gcc mailing list