Use COMDAT section group instead of gnu.linkonce?

H. J. Lu hjl@lucon.org
Tue May 4 14:54:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:52:38PM -0700, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 22:46, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > Should we start moving toward COMDAT section group? It will help fix
> > DWARF2 problems.
>
> I think we should be using init_array/fini_array instead of init/fini,
> COMDAT instead of gnu_linkonce, and doing whatever else is necessary to
> remain current with the ELF spec and eliminate unnecessary use of GNU
> extensions.

IA64 doesn't use init/fini if init_array/fini_array is supported,
which is needed in both linker and C library. We already set
HAVE_INITFINI_ARRAY if init_array/fini_array is supported. I will
come up with a patch to use it for other Linux targets.

H.J.