named warnings & individual warning control
Phil Edwards
phil@codesourcery.com
Mon Jun 21 20:32:00 GMT 2004
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 04:04:23PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > I believe that was the consensus. There should also, if memory
> > serves, be a tie-in to the other levels of diagnostics. Possibly
> > also an in-source control on the warning threshold.
>
> You mean "consider N warnings to itself be an error"?
No, I mean -- with reference to the levels in diagnostic.def -- controls
along the lines of
#pragma GCC in this code I'm only intested in errors
...
#pragma GCC in this code I'm only intested in errors and warnings
...
#pragma GCC and now I'm back to normal: errors, warnings, notes,
anachronisms, severe weather announcements, specials at the
local grocery, etc
An analogy for people familiar with sysadmining or daemon programming
might be the syslog-style kind of severity thresholds. Naturally, that's
not always appropriate for a compiler (ignoring an ICE is just not gonna
happen, as much as we wish we could do so), but -- introducing an opinion
now -- I think there is room for more than two levels (warning or error)
of diagnostic.
However, that all falls under feature rather than requirements. Just
something to think about.
--
"What attribute do you consider most valuable to the politician?"
"To be able to raise a cause which shall produce an effect, and
then *fight the effect*."
- Captain T.W.S. Kidd and Senatorial candidate Abraham Lincoln
More information about the Gcc
mailing list