Little C-benchmarks of gcc-XXX: Compilation timings of make for each GCC's version.

Scott Robert Ladd coyote@coyotegulch.com
Wed Jun 2 15:59:00 GMT 2004


jc-nospam@jr-pizarro.jazztel.es wrote:
> I did continue since yesterday with the same options/flags & architecture ...
> 
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/msg00045.html
> 
>  and i'd added the -O3 option (even if it was not very important).

I've done quite a few GCC benchmarks over the years, and debate the 
value of comparing against GCC 2.95, especially in terms of generated 
code performance.

GCC 2.95 simply isn't an option for anyone writing C99 or C++ or (soon) 
Fortran 95. The 3.x series compilers offer features not found in earlier 
compilers; while I won't dispute that GCC 2.95 may have compiled faster 
or produced speedier code for traditional C, we also need to recognize 
that the current compilers offer many advantages in terms of language 
support and error reporting.


-- 
Scott Robert Ladd
Coyote Gulch Productions (http://www.coyotegulch.com)
Software Invention for High-Performance Computing



More information about the Gcc mailing list